Firstly be sure especially health Secondly go for elk hunting. If you really like to go for elk hunting this is an incredible A to Z guide have shown the overall process you need to follow!
Topics For Elk Hunting To Cover! As a Result, You Will Understand About The Secrets.
- Preparation before the hunt
- Gear and Equipment
- Making Camp
- Hunting Tactics
- After the Shot
- The Harvest
Preparation before the Elk Hunting
Scout From the House for elk hunting adventure
☑ Topographical Maps
- Federal Center
- BLM Maps
- National Geographic Maps.
- Google Earth.
- CPW Hunting Atlas.
Do Research For Elk Hunting Details From Online
- Hunting articles and magazines
- Online articles – Free
- Online Videos (elk hunting videos)
- YouTube (elk hunting youtube)
☑ Check with CPW
- Wildlife Officers
- Hunt Planners
Before going for Elk Hunting Know about your Firearms and Ballistics
☑ Know your firearm/bow
- Shoot from different angles and distances
- Research your ballistics
- – Different grains, bullet weights, manufacturers
- – Altitude, weather
- – Arrow weights and broadhead weight
☑ Understand shot placement
- We have discussed later on this one!
Good knowledge about your Guns and Ammo will help you for best elk hunting
☑ Shoot a rifle that –
- You can shoot accurately and are confident in using
- Hit the range and use several positions
- Consider shooting sticks or bipod for stability
☑ Use ammunition that is proper for the hunt:
- .270 caliber 150 grain
- .308 caliber 150-165 grain
- 30-06 caliber 150 -180 grain
☑ Never hunt with a clean barrel
- Sight in, clean, then foul shoot the barrel. Clean barrels will vary the shot placement on the first round
☑ Buy at least two boxes of ammo. Preferably the same lot number
Check your all elk hunting Gear and Equipment
☑ Optics: Binos/Spotting Scopes
☑ Trekking Poles
☑ Rain Gear
☑ GPS and Compass
☑ Cell Phone
☑ Water/Water Bottle
☑ Firearm, Archery Gear
Range Estimation is very important for elk hunting
☑ Best rangefinders for Hunting-very accurate and important tool
- Rangefinder for hunting is a very accurate and important tool (you can check in details here for the best rangefinders hunting)
☑ Use to the pre-range distance to landmarks when still hunting.
☑ The spotter should use the best rangefinder and tell shooter the distance to the target. In this case, see the rangefinder reviews online.
☑ The shooter will repeat/confirm distance before Shooting
Important Documents you need to carry during the period of elk hunting
☑ Personal Documents – Driver’sLicense, Medical Cards
- Get several copies. One copy in the truck and one copy in your pack.
- Legal Possession of Licenses
- • Hunter Education Card
- Legal Hunting Methods
- • Antler Point Restrictions
- • Handguns
- After you harvest
- • Carcass Tags
- • Evidence of sex
- • Accidental Take
☑ Check your License for:
- Proper season dates
- The proper unit you are hunting
Next Step -Making Camp
☑ Choose a spot
- Plan and prepare your meals ahead of time
- – keep meals simple and cook at home
- – pre-pack lunches
- Set up camp before the season
☑ bring water or pump lots when you set up camp
• bring wood or gather lots of early
• set up your hunting pack at home
☑ Critters in Camp
☑ A good warm bed
- Check local ordinances
- Tent stove but maybe no campfire
☑ Leave it Right!
- Pick up all the trash and other disturbance
Scouting is another Important part of elk hunting
- Get High and be there early
- Have a scouting plan
- Look for rubs, scat, and trails
- Check for water sources
☑ Use maps and aerials
- Maps allow you to look into an area before you get there
- They allow you to see what you can’t see
Find this and find elk!
Rubs, Wallows and trails
☑ Hunt the Timber and tree line
- Elk will hang in the upper regions till snow pushes them down
- Glass the edges of the timber
☑ Glass the entire country you can see
☑ Look at the same area at least 3 times
☑ Look for parts – Legs, antlers, butts
☑ Watch the skyline in early morning and evening
☑ Watch your scent and avoid being seen
Know Elk Biology and Habitat
This is another important part of elk hunting
☑ Know your game!
☑ What elk eat!
- Aspen = Elk
☑ Things to Consider
- Largest Elk Herds occur west of the Divide
- Highest elk density occurs in association with aspen, oak brush, and mountain shrubs
- Vast public lands mean lots of opportunity and lots of ground to consider/cover
- Find the Refuge areas – Find the elk
Always keep in mind about Elk Hunting Tactics
☑ Understand elk – Why they do that?
☑ Elk Senses
- Sight –Good vision but trouble with detail
- Smell – the most developed sense
- Hearing – very good but rely on other senses to validate what they heard
☑ Stand Vs Stalk
- Cover, wind, shooting lanes ??
- Play the wind
☑ Keep the Wind in your face if it is possible
- Let’s Look At The Wind
☑ Caught moving?
- Stay still
- No eye contact
☑ The eyes have it – A herd has many eyes and ears
☑ Using Calls
- Cow Calls
Next step: The Cow Talk
Sounds and Calls
☑ Calling is an effective way to bring the elk in close enough for a good shot.
☑ Understand the language
- Bulls bugle to establish dominance and attract cows
- Cows are the communicators and the “secret”
- • Calf call- calves looking for mom (ee-uw-uw-eu)
- • Chirp – (eeu)
- • Mew – (meeeew)
☑ Just calling is not effective, call to “Speak the Language”: Understand what you are saying
- Listen to elk talk and watch what they are doing
Use some Common Sense Tips during the time of elk hunting
☑ Keep sun at back; wind in the face
☑ Be careful with your light
☑ Look under the trees
☑ Stop in a shooting position
Set Shot Placement and Anatomy
☑ Understand the internal anatomy
☑ Heart and lungs provide a large target area
- About 25 inches of the target
☑ Behind the front shoulder is best
☑ Avoid Headshots and Neck shots
After the Shot
- Watch the direction of the animal
- Give it time to lay down and expire
- Trail slowly
- Watch the direction of travel
☑ Try to watch the elk you shot – Difficult in a crowd
- Reload quickly for a second shot
- Keep the animal in the sights until you know it has Expired
Now the Time of the Harvest
☑ Properly complete the tag immediately at the site of the harvest
☑ Take a camera
☑ Take several knives and a good sharpener
☑ Bone out vs quarter
- Evidence of Sex “naturally attached”
☑ Be cool – cool the meat as quickly as possible
☑ Take all edible portions of meat
- Game bags
What you will do during the Sunset?
- Enjoy the hunt and your time in the field
- Take a friend and share the experience
- Do your homework
- Leave the woods as you found them
- Be honest and ethical
Click here for Deer Hunting Tips on the First Day of Deer Hunting Game
Another option is to position posts on forums relating to
your products. Test your own reactions to any kind of first catch sight of.
Blog Marketing Tip #2: Keep the Blogger’s Audience in View.
Another option is to position posts on forums relating to your products.
Test your own reactions to any kind of first catch sight of.
Blog Marketing Tip #2: Keep the Blogger’s Audience in View.